The course “An Introduction to Research Methodology in Foreign Language Education” aims to provide third year BA English students with general knowledge concerning research methodology including basic concepts and principles of research. It is also intended to provide students with practice in carrying out the first steps in conducting a research study.
By the end of this course, students should be able to:
- understand different research types,
- know the basic steps in planning and conducting a research study,
- identify a research area in foreign language education (FLE),
- formulate good research questions for a research study in FLE,
- develop an appropriate research design,
- construct some common means of data collection in survey research in FLE such as the questionnaire, interview, and observation,
- write a research proposal in FLE,
- read critically research reports in FLE.